Friday, July 3, 2015

Short Story on US (its United Sandals not United States)

It all started on a summery day travelling to Hyderabad, India from London Heathrow with British Airways wearing 3 year old sandals for my feet.

During the flight journey I couldn't even close my eyes may be because of anxiety or happiness to see my son after 50 days. Watched movies, made couple of friends, roamed in the plane, helped other people get place to sleep, encouraged little ones to enjoy their journey, all the time remembering Arjun and how he would have behaved in this situation and how I would have coped with it.

Slowly I started to feel burning sort of sensation in the feet and had to remove my sandals and let them have some fresh air and soothen.

 Landed in Hyderabad by 5:10AM, immigration was quick, however it still took around an hour to come out as one of my co-passenger baggage did not come through. Had to look out, enquire and complain about it which involved lots of walking/running.

As soon as I came out saw my Dad who was waiting for me all the while. After initial conversation, started talking endlessly about the journey, TRS banners and then started complaining about by foot. Mom was waiting for me at home along with Arjun, I forgot all my pains after seeing Arjun and started playing with him and there was no need to wear any sandals at home in the apartment.

After 2 days, we had to travel to my in laws and relatives place, all the way to Kadapa from Hyderabad. I realised about my sandals. Rather than aggravating my foot pain, I decided to buy a new pair before leaving. Went to Mochi shop in Panjagutta and couldn't find one which is trendy and comfortable. Also, I did not have much time to tussle between shops as I had to rush for dentist appointment and back home asap. I opted for comfort and chose one.

After reaching home my parents did not like my new sandals in the first instance itself as their look seems they are meant for aged people (really!!). As we had to leave early morning next day, there is no chance for exchange.

My mom gave one of her unworn trendy sandals which my dad got for her and are still new from past 6 months :). We were going by car and had to start early to avoid heat and traffic. I have the habit of driving with bare foot. Even at the places where I stayed, whereever possible I was walking with bare foot as heat was till cursing them.


As part of our family tradition we initially planned to do Arjun's Mundan (tonsure) ceremony @Vellala, Anjaneya swamy temple near Proddatur. But, we couldn't  come to India before his 1st birthday and had to do it in Birmingham, UK. As we are now in India, thought to complete this.

On one auspicious day (Tuesday - meant for Anjaneyaswamy) me, Arjun, my co-sister and her kids, MIL (Mother in Law) and FIL (Father in Law) left to Vellala in our car. In general Arjun doesn't like anyone touching his head or hair. One can imagine how hard it would have been to do his tonsure by unfamiliar face. After this we offered our prayers and went to near by old age home to donate money.

Kids started playing in the sand, we literally dragged them in to car to leave from there.
On the way to Muddunur we stopped at my FIL's sisters place. While getting down I couldn't find my right sandal. We searched for it in the whole car and by evening we concluded that  I might have removed sandals before getting completely in the car (due to my habit of driving with bear foot), thus leaving right sandal on the road near old age home itself and left one in the car.

Next morning got the Old age home Manager's phone number from the receipt and called him to enquire about the right sandal. He said he saw it last night and even in the morning on the road near their gate(hurray). He called back after some time and said it is still there and he will take it with him and keep it in his shop and some one can come and collect. We were discussing the financial equations of travelling 100km and getting the sandal, my FIL said it is not about how much they cost, it is about uniting them. So, its decided we will definitely try to get it.

In the mean time my uncle was there to invite us for Gangamma Jathara, he said my cousin went to kanaguduru (near by Vellala) and I can call him and see if he is still around. My cousin was kind enough to agree and he did collect it after 2 hours but forgot them at his Grand mother's place (Settipalle) before going home. Next day my uncle had to go and bring it to their home (Sankarapuram).

I returned to Hyderabad with my left sandal. After couple of days When my FIL attended Gangamma Jathara he was handed over a bag which included my right sandal (reached Muddunur). Still it has to wait for another week.

A day before our return date to London, my MIL joined us in Hyderabad and you can easily guess the first thing she took out. Yes you are correct, it is my Right Sandal which was longing to meet its partner.

And as it happens in all Tollywood movies, Sandals are United at the end. I handed back sandals to my Mom and returned to UK.

All is well that ends well.

3 comments:

  1. interesting. I think, it has stuff to sent entry in Short Stories. It US ( united sandals) starts from UK via India to UK.But need to modify, add dramatisation.
    introduction is lengthy than original concept. Improve it and send.
    I read 2 blogs. you have skill of writing. Try to write more . Planned to do one at least in month.
    all the best.

    ReplyDelete
  2. interesting. I think, it has stuff to sent entry in Short Stories. It US ( united sandals) starts from UK via India to UK.But need to modify, add dramatisation.
    introduction is lengthy than original concept. Improve it and send.
    I read 2 blogs. you have skill of writing. Try to write more . Planned to do one at least in month.
    all the best.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hahaha! Good one.. I love Happy endings! I would love to read more such blogs, happy, exciting though soothing ones!! :)

    ReplyDelete

Happy Birthday Dear

For a special person on a special day You Encourage me You Conquer me You Amaze me You Help me You make me Cry You make me...